This sin-smeared planet is a painful one, isn’t it?
Ain’t that the truth.
It’s a place where vulnerable hearts and sensitive spirits are easily wounded, left battered and bruised by sin and its effects.
Sometimes my heart hurts.
In those times, I’m learning that God doesn’t want my clichés or my platitudes.
He wants that same hurting heart – unvarnished, unfiltered, and unedited.
He wants to know that I trust Him with the pulpy remains of it, believing that He will care and that He will restore.
Oftentimes it’s someone I love who’s hurting.
And in those times, it’s easy to feel like a helpless bystander.
Because even after I’ve cooked a meal or shared a listening ear, there’s still so much pain remaining.
And it’s then that I have to remind myself that prayer isn’t just the only thing I can do.
It’s the best thing I can do.
Whether it’s the only thing or not.
Here are ten Scriptures for hurting hearts – whether that heart belongs to you or someone you love.
Cling to them…
storm the gates of heaven with them, believing in the One who will hear and will answer.
10 Scriptures for Hurting Hearts
- Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10
- Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. John 14:27
- Cast your burden on the LORD, and He will sustain you; He will never permit the righteous to be moved. Psalms 55:22
- He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. Psalms 147:3
- So we are always of good courage. We know that while we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord, for we walk by faith, not by sight. 2 Corinthians 5:6-7
- I believe I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait on the Lord; be strong, and may your heart be stout; wait on the Lord. Psalm 27:13-14
- No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, neither angels nor principalities nor powers, neither things present nor things to come, neither height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:37-39
- When the righteous cry for help, the Lord hears and delivers them out of all their troubles. The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit. Psalm 34:17-18
- The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; His mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness. “The Lord is my portion,” says my soul, “therefore I will hope in him.” The Lord is good to those who wait for Him, to the soul who seeks Him. Lamentations 3:22-25
- Now may our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God our Father, who loved us and gave us eternal comfort and good hope through grace, comfort your hearts and establish them in every good work and word. 2 Thessalonians 2:16-17
May our God prove the power of His Word on behalf of hurting hearts.
More encouragement for times of trial: